Friday, December 11, 2009

At Sea

It was a hell of a day at sea, sir! Rough weather and fish! That pretty much sums it up. Judy and I were a little queasy and spent a fair amount of time napping to over come it. Jesse and Michael stayed up in the cockpit fishing/sailing. Jesse caught the first fish, a nice Skip Jack tuna.




Shortly after Michael caught a Dorado (Mahi Mahi).

I am the "Fish Killer." I have always been the "heavy" and attempted to do the fish in quickly and completely. There was advice from others that cheap vodka poured inside the gills works instantly. While at Trader Joe's I purchased cheap rot gut vodka and was ready to wade into the fray for some fish killing.

36", which is the most common size for a Dorado.



While messing about with the Dorado Michael tossed the hand line out to get it out of the way and you guessed it, "Fish On!" He pulled in a nice Bonita tuna.


I expected the cat to be interested in the live fish, turns out he likes the canned kind and not so much the jumping kind.

The local marine life heard a rumor that Judy was coming through and this little guy sacrificed himself so she could have fresh calamari. He actually jumped on deck for the honor.



Blurry picture, I know, but it's all I have for this part of the adventure. That evening while the day's catches were fresh, I cooked them up to sample. Yummy!
Thanks Judy for providing almost all of the photos for this entry (and for a fair share of the other photos in other entries as well), my inventory was spotty at best for this part of the journey.





1 comment:

Doug and Carla Scott said...

Lots of fun times with a wonderful crew!